Founded in 1988, Casey House Hospital provides a continuum of care in a comfortable environment for adults living with HIV/AIDS, through a comprehensive range of inpatient, outpatient and community care services. Casey House employs an inter-professional team who is committed to providing compassionate care.
Casey House aspires to establish a centre of excellence in HIV/AIDS clinical care, education and research that addresses the health needs of people living with HIV/AIDS.
We are recruiting for a part-time permanent cook to join Casey House. If you have excellent culinary and customer service skills, and are a compassionate individual with a drive for helping others, consider this opportunity to make a difference in the lives of our clients, community and organization!
Reports to: Operations Coordinator
Hours: shifts range from early morning to midday, midday to evening, Monday to Sunday
Status: Permanent, Part-Time, OPSEU bargaining unit
Starting wage: $24.58, plus pay in lieu of benefits
As a member of an inter-professional team, the cook will prepare and deliver food for clients based on their individual nutritional needs, while maintaining the highest quality of health standards with respect to; food and equipment maintenance, supply management, preparation and service. In addition, the cook will help carry out catering responsibilities for special events within Casey House under the direction of the operations coordinator.
- Preparing food items according to cyclical menus and daily production schedules, while maintaining a high standard of food safety and preparation, accuracy, service and cleanliness.
- Recording and maintaining food and equipment temperature records as outlined in department and Toronto Public Health standards and guidelines.
- Ability to modify menus for therapeutic diets in consultation with dietary services and the clinical team.
- Clean and sanitizes kitchen equipment and appliances such as meat slicers, mixers, ovens stove, steam tables, and equipment used in food preparation.
- Labelling and storing of cooked foods, assisting with supply management including receiving.
- Ability to cook and interact in a small group setting
- Follow organizational policies and guidelines
- Other duties as assigned.
- Completion of or enrolment in the Interprovincial Red Seal certificate, and City of Toronto Food Handler’s certificate.
- Completion of a post secondary Food & Nutrition Management or Culinary Management diploma program.
- Minimum of three years experience preparing and serving food in a large volume within an institution or health care environment is an asset.
- Experience working with patients living with HIV/AIDS, substance use and mental health, or lived experience is an asset.
- Knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act, WHMIS, sanitation and HACCP code.
- Working knowledge of therapeutic diets and health-based nutritional requirements based on the Canada Food Guide.
- Moderate proficiency with Microsoft Office, Windows based applications, and the organizations dietary software.
- Strong understanding of measurement conversion and basic calculations.
- Ability to assume a leadership role and work collaboratively with others, including volunteers and peers support workers.
- Full/flexible working availability when required.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, with excellent organizational, analytical, problem solving and time management skills.
- Self-motivated, responsible and driven to provide the best service.
In addition to a virtual panel interview, the application process will involve a psychometric assessment and an in-house cooking demonstration.
At Casey House, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live and serve, and we strongly encourage people living with HIV/AIDS and/or lived experience to apply for this position. Casey House is committed to providing accommodation in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
This posting will close at 11:59 PM on Friday, September 17, 2021.